Saturday, July 6, 2013

I Don't Wanna Be A Star (poem)

Young as I am in a world larger than I
I don’t want to be a star twinkling in the skies.
The voice in my head tells me each day that I can be whatever I choose to be
And my heart beckons for a light brighter than that glittery dot.
Indeed, I want to be more than just a star!

In a world crowded by billions of stars
I don’t want my shining light to be mistaken for another.
The truth that none but me look exactly just like me, shows that I am unique.
And as bright as the sunlight unbroken by clouds at noonday
Such is the light that I am made be!

Even when my youthfulness is overtaken by greyness
I still don’t want to be a star twinkling somewhere from afar in the skies.
The moon is what I want to be, beaming light in the way of strangers and travelers,
And on the path of every child who is afraid of the shadows by night.
I want to shine brighter while I am still alive.

But when at last this greyness is overtaken by death
I beseech you to put me among the many stars of our heroes past.
For therein shall the sparkles of my twinkling light shine forth with rare brilliance
A starry symbol of inspiration to be looked upon by young dreamers
Who, just like me, desire to shine the brightest.

Written & Authored by:
Ebenezer O. Akinrinade
+2348027701092
gent2poetry@gmail.com, ebenezer.akinrinade@gmail.com
http://gent2smile.blogspot.com

Share & Subscribe

Share/Save/Bookmark